Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What Do You Turn To?

I am feeling a little frazzled today. Partly due to the two cups of coffee that I should not have had (coffee always makes me jittery), and after an upsetting morning trying to comfort my inconsolable Son who got a second degree burn on his tiny little hand from grabbing my flat iron :( (Mommy SUPERfail), and then having to say goodbye to MY mom at the airport in the midst of all the jitters and inconsolableness... Yes, frazzled is the word for me today.

So after getting home and putting my boys to bed I sat in an unusually quiet house feeling no peace and all anxiousness. I am grateful that in this moment I realized my need for God and did not turn elsewhere.

God speaks the instant we are willing to listen. After a brief time of prayer and reading, He was already gently convicting me of turning to created things when I am in need - coffee (for energy & comfort), friends (for companionship & acceptance), food (for satisfaction & joy), self (for justification & ego), facebook (for attention & communication) - when it's Him, the Creator, who I really need for these things and more.

I don't feel and am not saying that any of these things are inherently bad, I just feel God is asking me to come to Him first and foremost to meet my needs, and then enjoy these other things within that as gifts from Him.

So this week, as an effort to obey what I feel I've been told, I will be reading my bible daily whenever I notice the urge to turn to something or someone else. And I will be posting on Twitter or Facebook the verses that God highlights to me in these times, to hopefully be a blessing to you too :)

If you don't see some scripture posted from me during a day, please feel free to hold me accountable to this!

Today's verse:

"The Lord always keeps His promises; He is gracious in all He does. The Lord helps the fallen and lifts those bent beneath their loads."
~Psalm 145:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment